Friday, August 12, 2011

Almost NO-Sew Box Cushions

Last week I covered the cushions for the chairs in the living room.
I did the whole nine yards....zippers and welting.
They turned out great....but it was a real pain!
It took me 2 afternoons to get it done-and I am a pretty good seamstress!

That got me thinking about all the blog posts telling about how easy it is to do stuff like this!
Well it can be done but it isn't EASY!











Now look at these cushions!

I did them in about an hour!
I didn't use a sewing machine!
They look pretty good too!

 Now that is Sweetwater Style!
AND-Like it says in the blog header...."You can do it too!




Read on to find out how!






If you can sew on a button-you can do this!
If you can wrap a box-you can do this!

Supplies:

Square cushion form-these were in my closet left over from some other project
Quilt batting-watch the coupons at fabric stores....great time to buy batting.
Fabric

Step 1: Cover the foam with the batting
               use giant basting stitches to close the edges on the form so it doesn't shift when you sit on it

Step 2: Lay the cushion on the fabric and cut a piece big enough to wrap around the cushion.
              leave a good amount of overlap-you can always trim it away later.

 Step 3: Fold the fabric over the cushion front to back.  Pull it tight.  Fold in the edges and pin along the whole back edge.  I suppose you could iron the edge fold...but seriously....WHY!
 Step 4: On each corner fold in the side and miter in the corners just like wrapping paper on a gift.
Bring the sides up and lap them over....pinning along the two sides.
 Step 5:  You are ready to hand stitch the edges. If you don't have a curved needle....GET ONE...you will thank me! The curve of the needle lets you go into the cushion when you are stitching and makes the job a lot easier.
Hand stitch the sides first and then the back.  You can pull and adjust as you go to make a smooth seam.
Step 6: Run an iron over your seams for a finished look!
Step 7: Stand back and give yourself a pat on the back!

When I saw this remnant of Sunbrella fabric....I just HAD TO HAVE it!
Using the almost no sew technique.....It is now the new cover on the bench cushion by the firepit!

Hmmmm.....remember the sheets on the couch....click on the photo if you don't....
If you aren't a big sewer....I bet you could do the almost no-sew technique to do this too!


 I am sure you can "just do this" too!

Look at these cushions.....They were done with a new trick I have learned since I posted this originally!


HERE IS AN UPDATED POST with a simple trick to make this even easier!

Have A Wonderful Day!


24 comments:

Kristin said...

Love them! Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

What a clever idea! Thank you:)

Mandy Beyeler said...

thanks for linking to Take-A-Look tuesday - - I just featured you on my FB page!

Sweetwater Style said...

Thanks Mandy I appreciate the publicity...you are great!

MJ @ 517 Creations said...

What a great tutorial!! I have been browsing for ideas for cushions for my mudroom and this is perfect. :)

**visiting from Tips and Tutorials Tuesday

Kylean said...

I cant wait to try this out! I love the cushions and the fabric you pickedout for them!
Ky
http://burstofcreations.blogspot.com/

THEBUZYBUG said...

AWESOME JOB! TFS!

Kim@todayismysome-day said...

Thanks! I am bookmarking this for sure! Great find on the Sunbrella remnant! Seems like I never see any good remnant fabrics...

Anonymous said...

Perfect! Thanks for showing us how to do this. I have been putting off making the cushions for the bench seat in my boys room, but I don't have to anymore!

Terry said...

You had me intrigued with "no sew" because these cushions are fantastic. Thanks for sharing, I'll be featuring this project and hope you'll stop over again and share again!

Angela said...

I love it! It's right up my no-sew alley. Plus, my mom raved over this project. She went on and on about it. So thank you for this project to my blog party Simply Creative.

Angela
365days2simplicity

Erin of HomeSavvyAtoZ.com said...

I have a few cushions I really need to recover and am feeling inspired after seeing how well yours turned out! Thank you so much for linking up at Savvy HomeMade Monday.

Kelly @ Vintage Fabric Studio said...

these turned out lovely! Before you know it all your cushions will have new upholstery :) A great tutorial and so easy, thanks for sharing at Eat, Grow, Sew!

To The Moon and Back said...

Wow, lovely! Thanks for sharing.

Mindy said...

Fantastic! I'm pinning this. Do you have any suggestions for altering it a bit to make the cover removable for washing?

Ann from On Sutton Place said...

Well done! Love the fabric too. Thanks for linking up to Open House Party. I really appreciate it!

Andrea @HandMakeMyDay said...

I'm totally trying this ASAP! Oh and Pinning it too ;) http://pinterest.com/handmakemyday/hand-make-my-home/

Kim @ Too Much Time said...

Love it! I am totally on board with your easier is better philosophy.I would LOVE for you to link up at my party going on right now!

http://kim-toomuchtimeonmyhands.blogspot.com/2011/12/get-schooled-saturday-4.html

Domesblissity said...

What a great job! I'm always looking for quick ideas. I'd love for you to link up to my new "Thriving on Thursdays" linky party here in Australia every week. My blog features recipes, crafts, decorating, organising and decluttering advice and tips. I know everyone in Australia would love to read this blog post.

Thanking you,
Anne @ Domesblissity xx

Pam @Threading My Way said...

I would never have thought of doing a cushion cover like this... brilliant!!! Great tutorial on how to do it and the cushions look great! Thanks for sharing. What is welting? Is it similar to piping?

Linda Walker said...

You have no idea how timely it is that I found this post...I have cushions on my wicker porch furniture that need to be redone....I can sew but really want something quick and easy so I have time to sew "other stuff." This is perfect. Thanks so much for posting this tutorial,
Linda
mysewwhatblog

Anonymous said...

OMG, thank you so so much....I have been browsing the web like there's no tomorrow trying to find where a kind person like yourself has worked out a way to cover box cushions without all the hassle and share it with the rest of us (I can tell you so far you are the only one I've found)....I am about to tackle box seating for the dining area in a caravan which we are renovating, so obviously it doesn't have to look a million bucks but of course it has to look neat and tidy and be functional....You're a gem for sharing, thanks heaps.

Michelle

Debbie said...

This is exactly what I have been looking for. Even the chair in your picture is very similar to the one I will be making the cushions for. I'm from Minnesota, too! thanks

Anonymous said...

Im curious, how well have the cushions held up? Any pulling or separation?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...