Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Gnome for the Holiday! A Tutorial


 Gnomes or Tomte or Nisse.....Oh My!
Whatever name you give them, you have to admit they are awfully cute!


I guess I am a little "GNOME obsessed" this year. 

When you see how easy it is to make your own Tomten I am sure you will want to join in the fun!













 I have always loved the wonderful book by Astrid Lindgren about the little Tomten.









These are the 8 inch versions that we made for the Festival of trees decor.



Supplies:
thrift store sweaters
costume wig
fiber fill
styrofoam ball
glue gun
wooden bead
Steps:
  • Cut the sweater sleeve long enough to tuck into the top and bottom of the toilet paper roll.
  • Glue the styrofoam ball on top of the sweater.
  • Glue on some fiber fill and a fluffy piece of the wig.
  • Sew a triangular hat out of another sweater sleeve.  Use an area that has ribbing for the bottom of the hat.
  • Glue the hat over the ball.  Fluff the beard and trim as needed.
  • Glue the wooden bead nose very close to the edge of the hat.

After we made these Gnomes, I started to see the little creatures everywhere in all the fancy gift shops.


These are for sale on Etsy for $35.







Look!  You can buy 3 Gnomes for a mere $19.00 marked down from $24!

And this guy is super cute....but costs $19 too.







You know me....this was a challenge to see if I could DIY some little gnomes for our Christmas tree.
Instead of cardboard tubes and sweater sleeves, this version uses 3 to 4 inch chunks of birch logs.
These Tomtens are pretty fancy with their "cashmere caps" made from a worn out sweater.
The beards are made from the costume wigs.



Ahh....then I remembered that our AxMan Surplus store always carries scraps of sheepskin that must be left from cutting rugs or something!  I scored a great big piece for $3.50. I knew it would make a perfect Gnome beard!






You can certainly use the cardboard tube and sweater technique if you don't want to take the trouble to cut up a birch log.


The end result is every bit as cute!

I hope this has inspired you to create some elfin magic of your own!

Have a Wonderful Day!



Link Parties
Mila's Little Things



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...